REVIEW – 9th March 2017
Eight Members Club, EC2A 2BX
The Quartier Restaurant is situated in the Eight Members Club, a private members club of which I have been a member since it opened its doors. Quartier is open to non-members and from time to time puts out offers on Groupon. One such offer was the reason for our visit with our foodie friends Aidan and Katie – a nine course tasting menu with Baron de Marck Champagne.
Quartier is a fine-dining restaurant in the City of London. It’s kitchen is ably led by an exciting young chef, Daniel Cunin. His nine course taster provides something for everyone and challenges for some. It’s great being able to share evenings such as this with friends who as equally passionate about food – it meant each course was dissected, discussed and critiqued in our own little way! So what did we eat:
- Seared scallop with a cauliflower velouté – scallop perfectly cooked and a delicate velouté that perfectly complimented the scallop.
- Goat cheese with roasted beetroot and a caraway tuille – a mild, soft goat’s cheese with various roasted beets
- Salmon Gravadlax, quail egg, avruga caviar, crème fraiche – now this was interesting – this dish was plated with drops of a yellow’ish dressing. I wasn’t convinced it was needed as it was too sweet and its provenance unsure. Aidan thought it was gooseberry (in March – Really??), I thought it was lemon, but we had to ask the chef what it was. It turned out to be lemon!
- Roast Quail, celeriac gratin, port jus – simply delicious!
- Seared tuna, prawn wonton, wakame, tokiko, wasabi and soy dressing – beautifully cooked but I wondered if the tuna had been butchered properly as it was hard to cut across its cooked surface.
- Wild Mushroom linguini, truffle oil – this dish divided the table. The girls loved it, the boys did not! Aidan and I felt that the truffle oil overly dominated the dish and it would have benefited by removing the truffle oil and replacing with simple garlic and parsley.
- Fondant Choco Choux – unanimously voted the weakest dish on the menu – it seemed like a deep fried profiterole – an interesting but not particularly pleasant outcome!
- Passion fruit loli tart – this was a deconstructed passion fruit tart and was simply delicious
- Petits fours
All washed down with two bottles of champagne included in the deal. I must confess we augmented that with a few bottles of a very pleasant Mad Fish Shiraz.
The staff of the Eight Club are attentive, knowledgeable and friendly and Chef Daniel was happy to come out of the kitchen and discuss his food – always an encouraging sign.
The full price for this menu would be £600 for four – I’m not sure I would travel to spend that amount of money but with the Groupon deal it was £115 for four – and fantastic value at that price!
Quartier Restaurant & Dining Room Details:
Address: Eight Members Club, 1 Dysart Street, London EC2A 2BX
Telephone: 020 7392 9410